CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS | Colouring Book Illustrator
Contract Position | Application Deadline February 4, 2021
Posted: January 5, 2021
Green Thumb Theatre is seeking a BC-based illustrator to design a colouring book for children ages 5 to 10. Illustrations will be based on Dave Deveau’s award-winning play, CELESTIAL BEING.
About CELESTIAL BEING:
Celeste is an Autistic* 9-year-old with a big imagination and a deep love for outer space. After experiencing bullying at school, Celeste is made to feel like she’ll never fit in on Earth. Searching for a place where she can belong, Celeste starts building a rocket ship out of objects from around her house so that she can blast off to “Celestia”, a planet where everyone sees the world the way she does. When Celeste meets Martin, a new boy at school who loves space just as much as she does, her adventure takes a new turn. CELESTIAL BEING explores the different pathways to friendship, and the importance of welcoming a wide range human experiences.
*Green Thumb Theatre recognizes that there is debate within Autism advocacy circles regarding the use of “Autistic individual” vs. “individual with Autism”. In this matter we have deferred to Autistic advocates such as Lydia Brown who articulates a preference for “Autistic individual” in recognition that Autism is an integral part of their identity, not something about them that needs to be changed (https://autisticadvocacy.org/about-asan/identity-first-language/). We realize this is a deeply personal issue for Autistic individuals and their families and welcome feedback from anyone who is moved to share.
About The Project:
- Illustrator will confer with Green Thumb Theatre Artistic Director, Rachel Aberle, to design and deliver 10 - 12 whimsical black and white colouring pages suitable for children ages 5 to 10. These line drawings should not be overly intricate as to allow ample colouring spaces for younger children.
- Illustrations will be delivered to the company as PDF, JPEG and/or PNG files
- Illustrations will be based on text adapted from CELESTIAL BEING by Dave Deveau (text supplied by Green Thumb Theatre upon employment)
- Upon completion, physical colouring books will be distributed by Green Thumb Theatre, free-of-charge, to students across the lower mainland while quantities last.
- Please see the reference image links at the end of this posting for a sense of the level of detail we are looking for in these illustrations. Please note: the images provided are not a drawing/character style reference or suggestion. The images are strictly to communicate the level of detail we are looking for to ensure large colouring spaces. We want to see your individual style and interpretation!
Applications close on February 4, 2021, and the successful applicant will be notified by February 12, 2021. Creation of drawings will take place between mid-February and April 2, 2021. Artist and Green Thumb’s Artistic Director will confer to schedule consultation meetings during the creation period.
$3000 - $4500 commensurate with experience
Please submit the following in one email by February 4, 2021:
- A brief cover letter outlining your experience and why you are interested in this project, and a link to your website/portfolio if available (Cover letter in PDF format). Experience may include information related to your artistic practice, training, and/or lived experience as you feel it applies to this project.
- A 1-page sample colouring book illustration of your interpretation of: Celeste with her rocketship (PDF, JPEG or PNG format)
- If you do not have a website or online portfolio that can be linked to in your cover letter, please attach 3-5 examples of your work to your application email (preferably in PDF, JPEG or PNG format)
Email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line:
CELESTIAL BEING ILLUSTRATOR APPLICATION – Your Name
If you have any questions or require assistance with your application, please contact Georgia Beaty, Education & Outreach Coordinator, at email@example.com or by phone at 604-254-4055. Please note that due to staff working out of office due to COVID-19, voicemails are checked once per week.
Green Thumb Theatre is committed to inclusive and equitable employment. We are currently working with an outside consultant to develop anti-racism and anti-oppression frameworks to further equity throughout the organization. We welcome submissions from all communities and strongly encourage applications from individuals who self-identify as members of communities that face structural and systemic discrimination, based on factors including, but not limited to, race, colour, ancestry, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, age, and/or disability. Green Thumb recognizes that artists are informed by all facets of their identities, and welcomes applicants to include details about how their identity informs their practice and needs as they feel comfortable.
About Green Thumb Theatre:
Founded in 1975, Green Thumb Theatre is a force within the field of theatre for young audiences, not only in British Columbia, but across the country and throughout the world. Green Thumb Theatre creates and produces plays that explore social issues relevant to the lives of children, youth and young adults. We provide theatre that celebrates the language and stories of today’s generation and culture to stimulate empathy, debate and critical thinking.
January 6, 2021